Gaming Rig...Opinions?

Feel free to talk about anything here.. ..almost anything.
Forum rules
Welcome to the "General Discussions" section. Feel free to discuss anything not games-related here.

• Our general Forum Rules apply. Read before posting!
  • For general questions and support go to the F.A.Q. and our help desk.
  • Please check if your topic is already being discussed before posting a new one.
Old_Larson

Re: Gaming Rig...Opinions?

Postby Old_Larson » 28 Jun 2016, 16:01

That's the CPU fan I have - I can vouch for it. Works wonders! Haven't risen above 135degrees fahrenheit (granted I have 8 fans :P)

PVT - Rifleman - 2/1/B/2-75 "Spartan"
Adams

Postby Adams » 28 Jun 2016, 16:11

Considering that an i5's clock is 3.5Ghz im looking to at least OC to 4.0 Ghz and remain at a stable temp. And I did read that this specific cooler is very large, and I will have to not be able to use a few RAM slots, but that should not be a problem currently because I'm only running two slots to begin with, height wise I'm hoping there is no issue, didn't think there would be on account of it being a HAF case, and right now im running two 120mm inductions and 1 120mm expulsion plus the cpu fan to keep a 'pressure' in the case.
Adams

Postby Adams » 28 Jun 2016, 16:20

I was seriously split between the cryorig and that exact cooler Eversmann, I ended up going with the cryorig bc it looked nicer, and its significantly quieter. And im new to OC, you wouldn't call OCing an i5 6600k from 3.5 to 4.0GHz heavy?
Ampers

Postby Ampers » 28 Jun 2016, 22:06

Looking good. If you need to cut some fat then you can comfortably do the following:

- Get CPU Cooler Eversmann linked (~$20)
- Cut the optical disc drive (~$20)
- Go for an ASUS Z170-A (~$40)
- Get Windows from somewhere shadier. You have until Aug 29 to use Microsoft's free upgrade to windows 10
Adams

Postby Adams » 28 Jun 2016, 22:18

LMAO, so I can buy any old windows and upgrade to 10? And unfortunately I need the optical drive for school, or else id cut it. And I've already purchased the MOBO, I might post some pics under the other thread (battle station) once I'm done
Old_Larson

Postby Old_Larson » 29 Jun 2016, 08:50

Warning - Win10 is terrible for gaming (or so in my experience it has been). A few games won't launch and a few of the ones that do perform horribly. I'm running win7 on my new PC right now and it's worked like a charm. Also, the RAM slots your CPU fan blocks off. Yeah, it's an issue. I am also only using 2 cards (2x8gb, win7HP x64 only supports 16gb sadly) but I did test it and if you remove the case from a stick of ram and just have the ram itself, you can still fit it.

Ampers

Postby Ampers » 29 Jun 2016, 12:02

Windows 10 is ok here, and I did the dirtiest non-clean install ever. I had 7, did the upgrade. Then when I did my CPU/mobo/RAM upgrade, I was fully expecting to reinstall, but it just went straight into my existing install when I booted. So I just rolled with it. Uninstalled old drivers and put new ones on.
Adams

Postby Adams » 29 Jun 2016, 20:15

I used win 10 last year in the unit had no issues with any of my games. And would I have to move my sticks all the way to the right, if so do you think it will affect the RAM performance or how the MOBO uses it? Here's a few pic's of roughly where I'm at now. Best place to get win 10 for cheap? And should it be disk or email purchase? Or should i say could i setup win 10 when im in Bios using email?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Old_Larson

Postby Old_Larson » 30 Jun 2016, 08:29

Looking really nice so far, Adams! As you see, your RAM is in Dimm 2 and Dimm 4, which are the preferred slots. Your CPU Fan shouldn't interfere (at least mine didn't and we have same base model of boards, the Z170 - mine is an MSI Z170-A Pro however, not sure if any noticeable size difference) Dimm 2 and Dimm 4 are definitely preferred though, so you've got them in good placement. As I said above, if your fan does go where your RAM sticks go, you can remove the metal casing from them (Seen above marked "G.Skill" and they should still snap right in and manage to go under the fan. Might not look the best, but still works.

Ampers

Postby Ampers » 30 Jun 2016, 15:49

If you have a retail windows 7 or 8 key you can just install windows 10 using that. If you need to buy a new one then check out https://www.reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap/
Old_Larson

Postby Old_Larson » 30 Jun 2016, 20:49

Ampers wrote:If you have a retail windows 7 or 8 key you can just install windows 10 using that. If you need to buy a new one then check out https://www.reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap/

I've heard a few people sharing horror stories of admins taking amazon gift cards and going offline (the reddit page admins scamming is an ordeal in and of itself), however many claim to have had perfect service. I suppose the same could be said about http://www.kinguin.net and http://www.g2a.com

Adams

Postby Adams » 02 Jul 2016, 19:32

I haven't booted up yet (other than a few bread-boarding activities), I don't really understand how the installation of win 10 would work 'physically' speaking. Do I purchase a disk and then install it via disk drive, or is there a way to use a digital key through BIOS like a digital download? And I don't have a key.....I'm assuming the listed links are less than 'absolutely trustworthy' sellers?
Truly
Site Admin

Postby Truly » 03 Jul 2016, 06:23

If you want to upgrade, you just install your current Windows and use an option that pops up on the bottom left "upgrade to Windows 10". It will lead you step by step.
"Ahh...boobs. Bringing nations together, we might not understand each other always, but we all understand the language of tits!" - random Internet comment
Ampers

Postby Ampers » 03 Jul 2016, 15:05

Download Windows 10 here https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/softwar ... /windows10
Use Rufus to make a USB drive into a bootable install media https://rufus.akeo.ie/
Plug in the USB drive and boot from it.
Adams

Postby Adams » 03 Jul 2016, 21:32

I would do all that and then purchase a key is what I'm determining from that Ampers?

Return to “General Discussions”